(Posted Feb. 28, 2019)
By Kristy Zurbrick, Madison Editor
The West Jefferson Parks and Recreation Department is gearing up for a full slate of activities this spring and summer, from an art show to movie nights and concerts on the lawn.
The department is hosting an art show, “In My Life,” March 17-23 at the West Jefferson Community Center, 230 Cemetery Rd. Hours are 2-8 p.m.
The movie, “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?”, about iconic children’s television host, Fred Rogers, will play at the center throughout the art show. The movie, “Up,” will play at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. the last day of the show.
Anyone can submit artwork for the show. All ages and all types of artwork are welcome. Entries must be family-friendly and focus on family, friends, neighbors and places that have made a positive impact on a person’s life. Submissions are due by March 15.
In conjunction with the art show, the department is hosting parent-and-child painting classes. The first one is set for March 1, 6:30-8:30 p.m., and is geared for younger children. The cost is $20 per parent-child pair. The second class is set for March 15, 6:30-8:30 p.m., and is geared for older children. The cost is $30 per parent-child pair; the project involves a larger canvas. For both classes, the parent and child will work on separate canvases that combine into one piece of artwork.
Contact Marci Darlington, parks and recreation director, at (740) 490-8317 or email@example.com for more information.
Starlight Movie Nights are back this year, starting up again in March. Some will be held indoors at the Community Center while others will be held outside at the center, municipal swimming pool, Garrette Park and Westwood Park. All are free. The lineup is as follows:
- March 23–“Up” at the Community Center, 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., indoors;
- May 4– “Coco” at the Community Center, 7 p.m., indoors;
- June 14–“Ralph Breaks the Internet” at the Community Center, at dark, outdoors;
- June 28–“Mary Poppins Returns” at the Community Center at dark, outdoors, food truck night;
- July 12–“Incredibles 2” at the West Jefferson pool, at dark, outdoors;
- July 26–“Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again” at Garrette Park, at dark, outdoors;
- Aug. 9–“Small Foot”at Westwood Park, at dark, outdoors, food truck night;
- Oct. 5–“Wonder” at the Community Center, 7 p.m., indoors, in conjunction with Bullying Prevention Awareness Month;
- Dec. 7–“The Grinch” at the Community Center, 7 p.m., indoors.
In the event of bad weather, movies scheduled to be shown outdoors instead will be shown indoors at the Community Center.
Darlington is seeking sponsors to help cover the cost of the movies and concessions. Anyone interested in donating can call (614) 379-5273.
Concerts on the Lawn
Live music is coming to West Jefferson in the form of concerts on the lawn. Darlington is working out final details on locations. Garrette Park is one of the possibilities. The concerts are set for 7 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month, June through September:
- June 11–The Buzzard Kings, a rock band from Columbus that draws on the music of Kansas City, Memphis and Nashville;
- July 9–Nicki & Chaz, a duo covering feel good songs from the past 50 years;
- Aug. 13–Whiskey Business, an acoustic duo playing Motown, soul, pop, folk and alternative music from the ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s; and
- Sept. 10–Purk & Jones, a bluegrass duo with a combined 75 years of performance experience.
Adult softball league sign-ups run through March 8. Games start March 17.
Darlington hosts open houses at the Community Center from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. the first day of each month. Visitors can take part in card games, puzzles, crafts, a toddler gym, and general socializing, as well as learn about other programs the center offers.
Lunch & Learn sessions will start up the week after school lets out, running from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Youths 18 and younger are invited to enjoy lunch, programs, crafts and guest speakers. Most sessions take place at the Community Center. The first one is set for June 3.
To learn more about any of these programs, contact Marci Darlington at firstname.lastname@example.org or (740) 490-8317.