Two honored for their rescue efforts in Madison Township

By Linda Dillman
Staff Writer

A pair of Madison Township good Samaritans saved the life of a 79-year-old in cardiac arrest victim who was slumped over her still-moving vehicle in a grocery store parking lot.

Just three days before Christmas, Sandra Tiff and Ronald Hager saw the woman in her car and jumped into action. The pair was honored by the Madison Township Fire Department with a CPR Saves award during the Feb. 15 Madison Township trustees’ meeting.

“We were chasing a moving vehicle,” said Tiff. “He (Hager) opened the driver’s side door and stopped the car while I went to the other side to check for a pulse. We told a bystander to call 911 and then pulled her out of the car. I was a Boy Scout leader for 10 years and knew CPR because we had to go through yearly training. I started CPR on her and kept going until the medic arrived three minutes later and we got her on the gurney.”

Tiff said she didn’t immediately think about the situation, but just went on “auto-pilot” and would do the same thing for anybody. A similar situation happened once before in the past when she administered CPR to a minister who suffered a heart attack in a store.

Later that same December evening, after Tiff found out the woman’s condition, she visited her in the hospital.

“I wanted to see her and found out her family was looking for us as well,” said Tiff, “because nobody got our names.”

Hager and Tiff were presented plaques by Madison Township Fire Chief Robert Bates.

Museum fundraiser

Lt. Dominick Maggiore, a retired New York Firefighter/EMT updated the trustees on a May 13 zoo fundraiser by Motts Military Museum to raise money to build a 5,400 square foot 9/11 extension to the museum’s present site in Groveport.

“Motts Military Museum has the second largest collection of 9/11 artifacts outside of New York City,” said Maggiore. “My gear is included in that (Motts collection).”

Maggiore is an 18 year veteran of the New York City Fire Department and was at Ground Zero on Sept. 11, 2001 when the Twin Towers were attacked. He was on site for the next four days until relieved. He was then assigned as a sector commander for the Morgue, Safety,

Transportation, and Treatment, as well as an inter-agency liaison, working 60–100 hours a week at Ground Zero until he retired in February 2002.

Previous articleLooking for a few good toys
Next articleGender/Groveport Road intersection to be improved


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.