(Posted June 6, 2019)
By Kristy Zurbrick, Madison Editor
The new Summer Jam Festival, set to take place June 13-15 in downtown Mount Sterling, is packed with musical entertainment, food trucks, a beer garden, contests, vendors, crafters, and children’s activities and rides.
All of the action takes place on London Street between Church and Columbus streets, and on Main Street, one block to the east and one block to the west of London Street. Hours are 4-11 p.m. Thursday and Friday and 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday. The Mount Sterling Chamber of Commerce and village parks and recreation committee are putting on the event.
Opening ceremonies are scheduled for 4 p.m. Thursday at town hall, 1 S. London St. Mount Sterling American Legion Post 417 and Boy Scout Troop 343 will conduct a flag raising.
Live bands play each night from 7 to 10 p.m., courtesy of Legion Post 417. They include The Southern Boys on Thursday, Buckshot Band on Friday, and Balbo Jones on Saturday.
On Thursday and Friday, the Mount Sterling Eagles Youth League booth is offering free rock painting, children’s games and an obstacle course.
On Friday before the official festival hours, the Mount Sterling Public Library is hosting a performance by family entertainer Mr. Pickles at 1:30 p.m. at the village gazebo across from town hall.
From 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, downtown businesses are hosting a Shop Hop, offering specials and giveaways. At 5 p.m. American Legion Post 417 and Boy Scout Pack 343 will hold a flag retirement ceremony at town hall. Anyone with old flags is welcome to bring them for a proper retirement. Also that evening, the Madison-Plains High School cheerleaders will perform.
Saturday’s schedule is brimming with activities from morning to night:
- Bicycle decorating contest–Children are invited to decorate their bikes in a patriotic theme. Registration is at 9:45 a.m. at the village gazebo. Judging takes place at 10 a.m. in three age groups: 2-5 years old, tricycles; 6-9 years old, bicycles; 10-12 years old, bicycles. American Legion Auxiliary Unit 417 is the sponsor.
- Watermelon seed spitting contest–12 noon on the town hall lawn.
- Baking contest–Sign up by 11 a.m. in council chambers in town hall. Judging starts at 1 p.m. The categories are cakes, pies, cookies and breads. Three prizes will be awarded in each category, all in “Chamber Bucks” which are good at participating businesses: first place, $25; second place, $10; third place, $5. After judging, the remaining goodies will be up for sale.
- Hot dog-eating contest–2 p.m. Saturday at the Dairy Freeze, 85 N. London St.
- Dress up your pet contest–Sign up at 2 p.m. at Kountry Klipping Pet Grooming, 46 N. London St. Judging starts at 3 p.m.
- Cornhole tournament–4 p.m. on the town hall lawn.
- Dunk tank–hosted all day Saturday by the Mount Sterling Eagles Youth League
There are no entry fees for any of the contests.
Mount Sterling’s community yard sales coincide with the three days of the festival. The cost to have a yard sale included in an advertised list of addresses is $5.
To sign up for the yard sale list or for more information about any part of the festival, call Mount Sterling village hall at (740) 869-2040, ext. 5, or Becky Martin at (740) 506-0006. Or visit the Mount Sterling Summer Jam Festival on Facebook and the village website, www.mtsterling.org.