(Posted March 3, 2016)
By Kristy Zurbrick, Madison Editor
Southeastern Local Schools will be on the Nov. 8 ballot, asking for renewal of a property tax for operating expenses.
On March 29, the school board approved the second of two resolutions needed to file the issue with the Board of Elections. If passed, the levy will generate $490,000 per year for five years starting in 2017. The levy was first passed in 2002.
“We’re asking for a renewal only, so it’s no new monies. We have had no new tax monies in any local form since 2002,” said Brad McKee, district treasurer.
McKee attributes the district’s financial good standing to careful oversight, efficient staffing, and shared services. For example, he splits his time as treasurer between the Southeastern and Greenon school districts, and Superintendent David Shea doubles as Miami View’s elementary principal. Additionally, Southeastern and Greenon share a school psychologist, special education supervisor, and mechanic.
“We do everything we can to watch the taxpayers’ money. I fight for every penny that I can,” McKee said.
Without the levy, he continued, the district would deplete its carryover fund and need to look for ways to prevent deficit spending. The $490,000 the levy generates each year represents 6 percent of the district’s annual general revenue fund.
For more information about the renewal levy, call the central office at (937) 462-8388.
In other action at the March 29 school board meeting, the board approved supplemental contracts for the following coaching positions: Sarah Burton and Tracy Lau, junior high girls’ track; Nicole Clem, assistant varsity track; and Darron Routzahn, assistant varsity baseball.
Four new positions have been created for the school district and will go into effect with the 2016-17 school year: intervention specialist for grades 7-12, fourth-grade science and social studies teacher, preschool teacher and preschool aide.
The board also:
- approved a tentative list of 51 students as 2016 graduates, pending completion of graduation requirements. Commencement ceremonies are slated for May 28 at the high school.
- accepted a $300 grant from the Springfield Rotary for the Springfield Rotary Grants to Teachers project.
- approved an agreement with Clark State Community College for College Credit Plus for 2016-17. Last year was the first year for the partnership which allows Southeastern high school students to earn college credit and high school credit simultaneously.
- approved the 2016-17 school calendar.
- approved Family Medical Leave for five staff members—John Marcus Murray, Chasity Deering, Angel Slater, Jaye Lin Call and Jessica Detty.
The next Southeastern Local Schools board of education meeting will take place at 6 p.m. March 28 at the central office, 226 Clifton Road, South Charleston.