(Posted Nov. 29, 2017)
By Kristy Zurbrick, Madison Editor
Forget the sleigh. Santa has a new set of wheels.
On Dec. 6, the bearded one will arrive at Christmas in South Charleston aboard the police department’s new Hummer.
For more fun on four wheels, look for three additional food trucks at this year’s event, as well as Madison Township Fire Department and EMS vehicles on display at the corner of Jamestown and Chillicothe streets.
Christmas in South Charleston, now in its 21st year, is a communal way to rev up holiday spirit. Organized by the South Charleston Community Club, the festivities run from 4 to 8 p.m. and include business open houses, food vendors, children’s activities, a parade, live music and more.
“The fire department will have a bonfire at Jamestown and Chillicothe. That will be our hub this year,” said Jennifer Harbage, event volunteer.
For a suggested donation of a non-perishable food item, visitors can catch a wagon ride from the hub. Additionally, the fire fighters will be selling raffle tickets to benefit their Breakfast with Santa.
Other hotspots around town will include:
- Charleston Pharmacy, 127 S. Chillicothe–Christmas train display; book giveaway (two per child);
- Shoemaker’s Grovery, 111 S. Chillicothe–Play bean bag toss in the parking lot; prizes for the first 200 children;
- Security National Bank, 102 S. Chillicothe–Hot chocolate and cookies;
- Gilbert’s Youth Center, 65 S. Chillicothe–Open to junior and senior high students; free hot chocolate while supplies last;
- Chillicothe Street Pizza, 54 S. Chillicothe St.–Enter a drawing to win one or two extra-large, two-topping pizzas;
- Catholic Parish Hall, 31 S. Chillicothe–Soup and desserts inside; Hots & Brats food truck outside with proceeds benefiting the church;
- Presbyterian Church, 15 N. Chillicothe–Crafters and vendors; a reading of The Christmas Story at 6 p.m. followed by caroling led by Carol Wildman;
- VC Studio, 17 S. Chillicothe (Village Chic’s new studio)–Free ornaments for children; free Doc Brew iced coffee served by the Village Cup; cookies provided by Picture Perfect Cookies;
- All In Flavor, 9 S. Chillicothe–flavorful goodies and sweet treats;
- Small Town Roots Hair & Tanning Salon, 11 S. Chillicothe–Popcorn and coloring with Mrs. Claus; raffle drawing for children and a gift basket drawing for adults (tickets available for purchase during the event);
- United Methodist Church, 15 E. Jamestown–Cookie walk in the downstairs social room;
- Houston Library, 5 W. Jamestown, 5:30-7:30 p.m.–Help the library fill its tree with new children’s mittens to donate to Rocking Horse Center; make a tree ornament to take home; visit the book sale;
- Corner of Jamestown and Chillicothe streets–Bonfire, Madison Township Emergency Services Association raffle; Zerkel’s Kettle Corn food truck; Christian Bros. Meat Co. food truck; wagon rides, 6-8 p.m.
- Village Hair Designs & Spa, 164 N. Chillicothe–Decorate a cookie at Mrs. Claus’ Cookie Shop; photos with Mrs. Claus from 5:30 to 8 p.m. by Village Photography
- Village Chic, 164 N. Chillicothe–Special pricing on 1803 candles; Cinnamon Roll Truck in the parking lot;
- Parade at 5 p.m.–Police department escorts Santa into town; the parade starts at Journey of Faith Church and continues down Chillicothe Street to Sunrise Co-Op.
- South Charleston Town Hall, 35 S. Chillicothe–Santa arrives at 5:30; bring a camera to get pictures with Santa; pencil giveaway by the Community Club;
- Southeastern High School, 195 E. Jamestown–School band and choir performance at 7 p.m.
- Raffle and Children’s Passport drawing at Presbyterian Church, 15 N. Chillicothe–Rickets are $1 each or six for $5 and can be purchased at various locations around town until 7:45 p.m., drawing at 8 p.m. (entrants need not be present to win.), $200 grand prize; children can grab a passport, collect stamps at participating locations, then turn the passport in for a chance to win $50, drawing at 8 p.m.