Now in its 21st year, the South-Western Education Association partners with the South-Western City School District and Nationwide Children’s Hospital on a pediatric literacy program called Reach Out and Read Across Our Community.
In honor of Reach Out and Read, the district will hold a book drive for the children’s hospital. The goal is to collect 22,000 books.
The Reach Out and Read program of Nationwide Children’s Hospital is a pediatric literacy program dedicated to encouraging family literacy activities in the home prior to a child’s entrance into school. It gives young children a foundation for success by incorporating books into pediatric care and encouraging families to read aloud together.
Reach Out and Read also trains pediatricians and nurses to advise parents about the importance of reading aloud and to give books to children during well-child visits for children ranging in age from infant to second grade, with a special focus on children growing up in poverty. Building on the unique relationship between parents and pediatrician, Reach Out and Read encourages early literacy skills so children enter school prepared to learn. Books will be given to children during well-child visits to the doctor at the hospital. Siblings receive books as well.
Students, teachers, staff members, administrators, and community members are being asked to participate in this project by donating new, age-appropriate books for children ranging in age from infants through second-grade reading levels. The book drive will be held from March 1-15.
Books may be dropped off at:
• City Hall, 4035 Broadway in Grove City
• Ohio Health – Doctors Hospital, 5100 West Broad St. in Columbus
• Prairie Township Community Center, 5955 West Broad St. in Columbus
• Westland Area Library, 4740 West Broad St. in Columbus
• South-Western City Schools District Service Center, 3805 Marlane Drive in Grove City
• South-Western City Schools District Transportation Center, 3427 Southwest Blvd. in Grove City
• South-Western Preschool Center, 4324 Haughn Road in Grove City
• Any school building in the South-Western City Schools District
For more information about Reach Out and Read, visit www.NationwideChildrens.org/ReachOutandRead.