(Posted Oct. 12, 2023)
Here’s what’s happening at local libraries:
Hurt/Battelle Memorial Library
Hurt/Battelle Memorial Library is located at 270 Lilly Chapel Rd., West Jefferson. Call (614) 879-8448 or visit hbmlibrary.org.
- Storytime. Wednesdays and Fridays at 10:30 a.m.
- Scary Science. Children ages 5 and older are invited to register for this program slated for 11 a.m. Oct. 28. The event will be a combination of presentation and hands-on activities.
- Trick or Treat Program to Go. Bags for children will be available Oct. 23 while supplies last.
- Halloween Costume Drive. Costumes are available in the library lobby. Limit one per person. Donations of clean, gently used, or new costumes can be dropped off at the information desk.
London Public Library
London Public Library, is located at 20 E. First St. Call (740) 852-9543 or visit www.mylondonlibrary.org for details.
- Toddler Time. For ages 0-3 years old. Oct. 17, 10-10:30 a.m.
- Preschool StoryTime. For ages 3-6 years old. Oct. 17, 11-11:45 a.m.
- Zombie Barbies. Create your own Zombie Barbie using materials supplied by the library. For ages 11-17. Oct. 17, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Cookbook Club. The group picks a theme each month. Members check out copies of cookbooks with that theme, then make a recipe to share with the group. This month’s theme is recipes from television series or movies. Oct. 18, 7-7:45 p.m.
- Kindergarten Club. Children ages 3-6 years old can practice the alphabet and motor skills to prepare for kindergarten. Oct. 19, 6:30-7:15 p.m.
- Technology Help Sessions. Have questions about your phone, laptop, or tablet? Register for a one-on-one 45-minute help session. Possible topics include how to search the internet, how to use email, how to use your phone, and how to use social media. Bring your device to your session. To register, call the library. Available every day by appointment only.
Mount Sterling Library
Mount Sterling Public Library is located at 60 W. Columbus St. Call (740) 869-2430 or visit www.mtsterlingpubliclibrary.org.
- Storytime. Mondays at 10:30. For ages 2-5.
- Bright Beats. Sign up for Bright Beats, a free music and movement-based program for children. Classes are being held on Wednesdays through Nov. 15. Choose from two age groups.
- Bookmobile. The bookmobile will make stops on Oct. 18: 3-3:30 p.m. at Grace Community Church in South Solon and 3:45-4:15 p.m. at Sedalia Christian Union Church.
- National Friends of the Library Week. Stop by Two Hands Coffee on Oct. 19 to enjoy a free drink, compliments of the Friends of the Library.
- Sugar Scrub Class. Teens and adults are invited to learn how to make sugar scrub at 6 p.m. Oct. 19. Registration is required; call the library.
- Around Town Book Club. The Around Town Book Club will meet at 7 p.m. Oct. 26 at 101 Autumn Haze Court, Mount Sterling, to discuss “The Silent Patient” by Alex Michaelides. Refreshments, games, and prizes are planned.. Limited copies of the book are available at the library for club attendees only. Anyone who cannot attend but would like to read what the book club is reading can ask a staff member for help ordering a copy. New members are welcome; no RSVP is required.
- Ladies Night Out Movie. The next movie night is a Barbie party on Oct. 30. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Reserve a spot by calling the library or texting Melissa at (614) 315-7939. The library provides pizza, popcorn, cold drinks, and flavored coffees. Participants are asked to bring a potluck dish.
- Little Free Library Pantry. Anyone is welcome to donate or take books or non-perishable food items from the pantry at any time. The pantry is located across from the library. Large-volume donations can be dropped off inside the library Oct. 28, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Plain City Library
Plain City Public Library is located at 305 W. Main St. and online at www.plaincitylib.org. Call (614) 873-4912.
- Storytime. Ages 6 and younger can take part in stories, rhymes, songs, and other learning activities on Mondays, 10:30-11 a.m.
- Popcorn Matinee: Hocus Pocus. At 1 p.m. Oct. 20, enjoy a movie and popcorn at the library. Registration is required. Children younger than 8 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- Sketchbook League Meet-up. On Oct. 21, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., bring your sketch pad and pencils to this casual club and share your love of drawing. Check out drawing guides and try out new media. No art supplies? No problem. Borrow one of the library’s sketchbooks and try some of the other supplies that will be on hand.