This photo of the London Water Works was taken some time in the 1930s. It was located where are present
water works are on Chrisman Avenue.
The first water department was established in 1885. John M. Roberts was the owner. In 1889, the London Waterworks Co. was formed and construction was started on the site of the present day Water Department. City officials and the Water Department argued constantly over the rates and the supply of water.
During some of the fires, the Water Department could not provide a steady stream to the fire department pumper to adequately put out the fire. It wasn’t until June 1950 that a Board of Public Affairs was established, and the Water Department came under the city’s control and possession.