|The offices of Pierce Lumber and London Coal Co. were located on West High Street. The site most recently was home to a restaurant and shopping complex.
The Pierce Lumber Co. was organized in 1906. The president of the company was Clinton Morse. The manager was R.V.D. Coons (standing on the far right), who also managed the coal company. This company had all grades and kinds of lumber and could fill any order.
The company later became London Lumber & Coal, under the ownership of Clinton Morse’s son-in-law, Robert M. Shipley, who married Susanne Morse. The lumberyard was closed in the mid 1970s.
The Madison County Historical Society provided this picture.
Earl Ballenger is a resident of London. To share photos, call 740-852-0809.