| A flagpole once stood in the middle of the intersection at Main and High streets in London. (The gentleman in this photo is unidentified.)
London Boy Scouts collected donations to pay for the flagpole, which was erected in 1918 under the direction of City Engineer H.L. McCafferty. When the crew started digging the hole, they found a "distance monument" believed to be buried there when the city was laid out. Also found under the street was a large black walnut pole of unknown origin.
The first flag-raising ceremony at the site was held on June 14, 1918, in honor the military men of Company C and those from Madison County who served their country.
The flagpole was removed from the intersection on Nov. 10, 1927, because some deemed it a traffic hazard. It was moved to the courthouse lawn with permission of the Madison County commissioners and London City Council. Madison Post No. 105 assisted in the matter.
The City paid for the removal and resetting of the pole. The commissioners paid for the construction of a base and a concrete platform. A captured German cannon, Liberty Loan stone and other war trophies were placed on the platform. The pole was shortened.
A new war veterans memorial was erected on the courthouse lawn in 2002. The old flagpole was replaced with the current pole.
Susie Taylor was a major contributor of information for this article.
Earl Ballenger is a resident of London. To share photos, call the Messenger at 740-852-0809.