Police officer planned for GMHS

Groveport Village Council is poised to approve a contract with Groveport Madison Schools for the village to provide a police school resource officer (SRO) for Groveport Madison High School.

Under the contract, Groveport Madison would pay $45,877 for the SRO, which is 69 percent of the cost of the officer, and the village would pay the remaining $20,611, or 31 percent.

In addition to the SRO, Groveport Madison Schools approved placing four security specialists in the high school to help with security issues.

"I believe the additional security staff is a positive move in the right direction and will enhance the overall security concerns at the high school," reported Groveport Police Chief Gary York at council’s July 21 committee of the whole meeting.

If council approves the SRO contract at its July 28 meeting, it will be the fifth year the village has provided an SRO for the high school.

"The (SRO) position is more than just a show of legal authority," stated York, "but more importantly, it is a resource to the students, parents, staff, and the police department, which is able to provide crucial and sometimes needed information."

Groveport bike path

Construction of the Groveport bike and leisure path to connect the village to Three Creeks Metro Park was set to begin the week of July 21 with completion expected by Sept. 29. The approximate 7,000 foot, asphalt bike path will extend north from Front Street, through Elmont Place, through Cruiser Park, and then connect to Three Creeks.

Council is considering adopting a set of rules and regulations for the path which include: all village codes and ordinances will be enforced; not motorized vehicles; a 15 mph speed limit; path users should keep to the right; audible signals when passing; yield when entering or crossing the path; be courteous; do not block path; pets walked off the path on a maximum six foot leash; clean up after pets; alcohol prohibited; no littering; allow faster users to pass safely; yield to pedestrians; ride single file, and slow down in congested or reduced conditions.

Other Groveport news

•Three new windows were installed on the third floor on the west side of the front of Groveport Town Hall. The original window frames were retained, according to Groveport Community Affairs Director Linda Haley. The work was done by Durable Restoration Company, which Haley said specializes in restoration rather than replacement.

Haley added that masonry tuckpointing on Town Hall’s southeast corner will be completed. She thanked the Groveport Heritage and Preservation Society for its sponsorship of the specialty mortar that will help preserve the building’s appearance and historic significance.

•York reported that the Franklin County EMA/Homeland Security estimates that the village’s two additional outdoor warning sirens should be delivered by the end of August.

•Police Lt. Bary Murphy reported that, according to the Franklin County Prosecutor’s Office, the suspect who was indicted for attempted murder in last year’s shooting at the Groveport Madison High School bus garage avoided trial by accepting a plea to a felonious assault charge with gun specifications.

•The Groveport Recreation Center and Groveport Park will host the "Battle of I-270 Co-Recreational Softball Tournament" on Aug. 23. The tournament includes champion teams from other central Ohio recreational departments.

Previous articleWAC wants partnership for new recreation center
Next articleBad dog breath no laughing matter for pet owners


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.