NFPA tips to keep you safe from carbon monoxide

0
364

Citing a research report looking at non-fire carbon monoxide (CO) incidents, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is reminding the public to be aware of the risks associated with exposure to carbon monoxide and providing tips to help people take steps to avoid unsafe levels of this colorless, odorless, toxic gas.

"Installing an alarm to warn of unsafe levels of carbon monoxide in your home is especially important because this colorless, odorless gas is toxic," said Lorraine Carli, NFPA’s vice president of communications. "Physical symptoms can sometime mirror other illnesses. You might think you have the flu and go to bed, not knowing your house is filling with poisonous gas that could kill you. A few precautions can save lives."

NFPA suggests the following safety tips:

Inside the home

•Install CO alarms inside your home to provide early warning. CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each separate sleeping area. If bedrooms are spaced apart, each area will need a CO alarm.

•Test CO alarms at least once a month and replace CO alarms according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

•CO alarms are not substitutes for smoke alarms. Know the difference between the sound of smoke alarms and CO alarms.

•Have fuel-burning heating equipment (fireplaces, furnaces, water heaters, wood and coal stoves, space or portable heaters) and chimneys inspected by a professional every year before cold weather sets in.

•When purchasing new heating and cooking equipment, select products tested and labeled by a recognized testing laboratory.

•When using a fireplace, open the flue for adequate ventilation.

•Never use your oven to heat your home.

•When buying an existing home, have a qualified technician evaluate the integrity of the heating and cooking systems, as well as the sealed spaces between the garage and house.

Outside the home

•If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle, generator, or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.

•Generators should be operated in well ventilated locations outdoors away from all doors, windows and vent openings.

•During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.

•Only use barbecue grills – which can produce CO – outside. Never use them in the home, garage or near building openings.

•When camping, remember to use battery-powered lights in tents, trailers, and motor homes.

If your CO alarm sounds

•Immediately move to a fresh air location and call for help. Remain at a fresh air location until emergency personnel arrives to assist you.

•If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries or other trouble indicators.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.