(Posted Dec. 14, 2022)
By Sarah Slayman, Staff Writer
A couple of planned and potential businesses are another step closer to reality following West Jefferson council action and discussion on Dec. 5.
Love’s Travel Stop & Country Stores plans to build a combination fueling center and convenience store on the north side of U.S. Route 29 and Commerce Parkway. Exeter Property Group owns 250 acres in that area and requested that 10 of those acres be set aside for the Love’s location. Based on the recommendation of the village planning commission, council approved the site plan for the project.
According to John Mitchell, West Jefferson’s public service director, Love’s plans to break ground in the spring and open sometime next year.
Casto Partners LLC, another developer, is looking to attract a new business to property the company owns on U.S. Route 29, not far from the Love’s site. All but a small portion of that land, less than one acre, has been annexed from Jefferson Township into West Jefferson. Casto is pursuing annexation of that small portion. The company then plans to set aside eight or nine contiguous acres for a new business. One possibility, Mitchell said, is a combination gas station, convenience store, and restaurant.
Council approved a resolution promising municipal services, including utilities, fire protection, and police protection, for the property up for annexation.
In other action, council:
• approved the village budget for 2023;
• approved an across-the-board 3 percent pay raise for village employees;
• set residential rates for trash and recycling pickup;
• approved Forest Trucking’s final development plan for construction of a pole barn;
• and approved an updated contract to provide additional property maintenance inspection services to the city of London through the village’s building department.
–With reporting from Kristy Zurbrick