(Posted Nov. 26, 2017)
By Kristy Zurbrick, Madison Editor
London’s Old Fashioned Christmas draws people downtown for shopping, giveaways, carriage rides, treats, and entertainment. This year’s festivities are set for approximately 6 to 8 p.m. Nov. 27 on, along, and around Main Street.
“Everyone comes out for it. It really starts the holidays in a hometown way,” says Amy Rees of the London Community Organization, co-sponsor of this year’s event with First Commonwealth Bank of Sedalia.
New this year is the opportunity to purchase professional photos with Santa. The cost is $5 per photo, with prints available for pick-up on-the-spot. Also, the night’s live music line-up includes a few new additions.
Throughout the evening, many downtown businesses will be open and celebrating the start of the holiday season. Additionally, First United Methodist Church, 52 N. Main St., will serve food in the church basement from 5 to 8 p.m. and host kids’ cookie decorating stations on the main floor from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
On the schedule at 6 p.m. are:
– Visits with Santa until 8 p.m. at Thomas Media Group, 7 S. Main St.;
– Horse-drawn carriage rides with stops at Cowling Park on North Main Street and near the corner of East First and South Main streets;
– Live reindeer on display in the McDonald’s parking lot until 8 p.m.;
– London High School choir at First United Methodist Church;
– Rosedale Bible Chorus at the Madison County Courthouse, 1 N. Main St.;
– Brother and Sister Berenstain Bears, Christmas stories, holiday crafts and treats at London Public Library, 20 E. First St.;
– St. Patrick Church choir and treats at Main and High streets;
– ReMax Leading Edge passing out treats in the Cowling Park gazebo;
– Music Men of London caroling throughout the downtown area;
– Lafayette United Methodist Church passing out candy canes throughout the downtown area;
– Coloring contest, collection of donated items for pets and new parents, and thank-you card project for veterans and police at Mabe’s Clothing, 18 S. Main St.;
– HELP House toy drive collection at CK Signs & Apparel, 13 E. High St.; and
– Cub Scout Pack 104 passing out goody bags at Cowling Park.
On the schedule at 6:30 p.m. are:
– London High School band at First United Methodist Church;
– Madison County Senior Center Charming Chimers at the Madison County Courthouse;
– London Christian Fellowship choir at the corner of Main and Second streets;
– London Grace Church passing out treats at the corner of Main and Second streets; and
– Caricature drawings at Phat Daddy’s Pizza, 15 E. First St.