(Posted May 30, 2019)
Read, get active and win prizes at London Public Library’s summer reading program. Registration begins June 3.
Children and teens can earn prizes for reading and completing physical activities. Those that complete their reading and activity logs early can try the Super Reader Challenge for a chance to win a grand prize. The grand prize choices are a bike, Ohio State Fair tickets, Kings Island tickets, a gift certificate to DiamondZ, a ride to London Elementary on a fire truck, and the opportunity to choose an item for the library’s new time capsule. Adults can enter a weekly drawing for prizes, as well as a grand prize of a $100 Amazon gift card.
The library also will host a variety of programs for children, teens and adults. Highlights include:
- The Summer Reading kickoff at 6:30 p.m. June 3 with the Columbus Zoo where families can meet up to six different zoo animals;
- Aliens: Escape from Earth at 6:30 p.m. June 13, an action-packed adventure in which kids must save aliens from a crazy scientist and help them to their spaceship;
- A visit from Armstrong Air and Space Museum at 2 p.m. June 17 to teach children about the physical concepts of black holes using items like balloons and aluminum foil;
- How to Draw Pokémon with artist Steve Harpster, who will teach kids how to draw different Pokémon characters, 6:30 p.m. July 11;
- Didgeridoo Down Under, a high-energy fusion of Australian music, culture, intergalactic storytelling and audience participation at 2 p.m. July 15;
- The Magical Universe Show in which award-winning magicians Jason and Stacy Alan will entertain with an interactive magic show, 2 p.m. July 25.
For more information on any of the summer reading program events, visit www.mylondonlibrary.org or the events section of the library’s Facebook page. Registration is required for some events. Register by stopping by the service desk or calling the library at (740) 852-9543. The library is located at 20 E. First St.