(Posted Oct. 28, 2016)
The London Fire Department is celebrating its 150th anniversary with an open house from noon to 3 p.m. Nov. 5 at the fire station, 103 E. High St. The public is invited to attend.
All of the department’s fire vehicles will be on display, including vintage pieces no longer in service: the 1871 London Belle steamer engine and the 1930 motorized American LaFrance engine. Vehicles currently in use include two engines, a backup engine, a ladder truck known as “Big Red,” a grassfighter, a utility emergency medical vehicle, and a water rescue boat.
The department also hopes to have the newest addition to its fleet on site, a 2004 Sutphen 100-foot aerial ladder truck, purchased this summer to replace “Big Red.” In a time-honored tradition, firefighters will push the old truck out of the station and push the new one in.
Chief Todd Eades has invited all current and former part-time, full-time and volunteer London firefighters to attend the celebration, including former chiefs Richard Minner, Paul Van Horn and Matt Noble. He did the same for London July Fourth parade, for which the department and its personnel served as grand marshals.
Cake and punch will be served.
For more information, call the station’s non-emergency number, (740) 852-4297.