(Posted April 8, 2019)
Check out events happening this week and beyond at Madison County area libraries.
Hurt-Battelle Memorial Library is located at 270 Lilly Chapel Road in West Jefferson. Call (614) 879-8448 or go to http://www.hbmlibrary.org/ for details.
- Storytimes. 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Egg Hunt. Through April 19, children can search for eggs hidden in the library. Those who spot all of them will win a prize.
- Prom Dress Drive. Through April 30, the library will be a drop-off and pick-up spot for gently used prom dresses, suits, ties and accessories. If you want to clear out your closet or give to someone in need, consider passing on your outfit.
- Rewarding Reading Raffle. The library is celebrating National Library Week and Right to Read Week. Between April 8 and May 4, each day a patron checks out materials, they will be entered into a drawing for prizes. Winners will be notified at the end of the event.
- Program to Go. Between April 8 and May 4, hop to the library for an Easter-themed program to go.
London Public Library is located at 20 E. First St. Call (740) 852-9543 or go to www.mylondonlibrary.org for details.
- Library Board. The board will meet at 5 p.m. April 8.
- Story Times. Toddler Time for ages 0-3 years old, 10 a.m. April 9. Preschool Story Time for ages 3-6 years old, 11 a.m. April 9.
- Levi at the Library. Register your child for a 10-minute time slot to read with Levi, a certified therapy dog. Time slots are available 4-5 p.m. April 9.
- Fiction Book Club. The group will discuss “Pet Sematary” by Stephen King at 7 p.m. April 9.
- Play Date. Book-themed hour of socializing, messy art, toys and sensory table fun at 10:30 a.m. April 11. Caregivers must be present.
- ABCs of Movement. Children ages 3-6 can practice the alphabet through movement, working on letter sounds, writing letters and gross motor skills on April 11, 6:30-7:15 p.m.
Mount Sterling Library
Mount Sterling Public Library is located at 60 W. Columbus St. Call (740) 869-2430 or go to www.mtsterlingpubliclibrary.org for details.
- Storytime. Sessions are held at 10:30 a.m. Mondays and include stories and crafts for ages 2-5 years old.
- We Joy Sing. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the remainder of the spring sessions have been cancelled. The program will start up again on June 5; sign-ups start in late-April.
- Friends of the Library. The group will meet at 6:30 p.m. April 9 to finalize plans for a Patriotic Sip & Paint event and plan events for the rest of the year.
- Library and Community Museum Board. The board will meet at 6:15 p.m. April 11 in the community room in the library’s lower level.
- Wolves: Facts vs. Myths. Ironwood Wolves, a central Ohio organization that provides ambassador animals for educational events, will present a program from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. April 17. Visitors will learn about the wolf family life, diet, role in the ecosystem, and myths and facts about the animal. A live wolf will be part of the program.
- Around Town Book Club. The group will discuss “The Rosie Project” by Graeme Simsion at 7 p.m. April 25 at Deb’s Country Diner.
- Ladies Night Out. Watch “Stan and Ollie” (PG) on the library’s big screen at 6:30 p.m. April 29. Bring a potluck dish.
- Patriotic Paint Party. The event is set for June 30 at American Legion Post 417. Details to come.
- Sherlock Holmes Mysteries at the Manor. The group will discuss “The Naval Treaty” at 2 p.m. April 14 at the home of Casey O’Neill.
- Mount Sterling Community Museum. Regular hours are 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. The museum is located on the library’s lower level. Appointments outside of regular hours can be made by contacting Director Steve Chambers at (740) 869-9305 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Plain City Library
Plain City Library is located at 305 W. Main St. Call (614) 873-4912 or go to www.plaincitylib.org/calendar for details.
- Storytimes. All Ages Storytime–Stories, rhymes, songs and more for ages 6 and younger. Caregiver must be present. Mondays at 10:30 a.m. (No session on April 22.) Toddlertime–Stories, music, fingerplays and rhymes for ages 18-36 months. Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m. (No session on April 24.) Preschool Storytime–Stories, rhymes, songs and more for ages 3-6 years old. Wednesdays at 11 a.m. (No session on April 24.)
- IMake. Drop in to create, invent and explore a different hands-on project from 3:15 to 4:30 p.m. every Wednesday. On April 10, use plastic eggs to investigate weight, measurement and time. Use eggs and Play-doh to build the tallest tower. On April 17, design and make a button using a button maker. On April 24, use straws and cardboard to build mechanical parts.
- 3-D Printing Class. At 7 p.m. April 18, Andy Leer will lead a class in 3-D printing and Tinker-Cad. A limited number of seats and laptops are available for this program. If you register to bring your own laptop, know that a device with a mouse and keyboard is best for this project. Space is limited and registration is required. Visit plaincitylib.org or call the library to register.