(Posted Jan. 5, 2016)
By Sandi Latimer, Staff Writer
Steve Johnston will lead West Jefferson village council again this year.
He was elected as president on Jan. 3 during council’s annual reorganizational. Jen Warner won the vice president seat over Doug Eakins in a secret ballot vote.
Council committee appointments for the coming year are:
- Public Service—Randy Otis, chair; Johnston and Eakins.
- Police—Eakins, chair; Otis and Lori Cafagno.
- Finance—Warner, chair; Johnston and Cafagno.
- Employee Benefits: Cafagno, chair; Otis and Mike Conway.
- Parks and Recreation: Jim King, chair; Conway and Warner.
- Development: Johnston, chair; Warner and King.
- Special Events: Conway, chair; King and Eakins.
Council accepted the statement of property values, tax rates and estimated tax revenue for the year as estimated by Madison County Auditor Jennifer Hunter. The valuation of all property is $88,245,970 which means the estimated income is $88,246. Finance Director Debbie DiLeo said this figure is down from $92,000 of a year earlier because of property revaluation in the county.
Parks and Recreation Director Marci Darlington is seeking nominations for an outstanding West Jefferson volunteer to be considered for recognition from ServeOhio. Nominations can be made through http://www.serveohio.org/professional-development/2016-serveohio-awards/.
West Jefferson Council meets the first and third Mondays of each month, with the exception of holidays, in which case the meeting is moved to Tuesday. Meetings start at 7 p.m. and take place in the upper level of village hall, located at 28 E. Main St., West Jefferson.