(Posted Sept. 5, 2017)
By Kristy Zurbrick, Madison Editor
The Madison County Board of Elections certified issues and candidates for the Nov. 7 general election. The deadline to register to vote in the fall election is Oct. 10. For more information, call (740) 852-9424.
- Madison-Plains Local School District—Renewal of 2.5-mill, five-year tax levy for permanent improvements and purchase of school buses.
- Sterling Joint Ambulance District—Renewal of a 1.8-mill, five-year tax levy for current operating expenses.
- Plain City East—Local liquor option for sale of wine, mixed beverages and spiritous liquor on Sundays between 10 a.m. and midnight at Lee’s Sports & Spirits & Patio, 209 W. Bigelow Ave., Plain City.
- Pike Township—Renewal and increase of a 3.12-mill, five-year tax levy for fire protection and emergency squad services.
- Range Township—Renewal of a 1.7-mill, five-year tax levy for fire protection.
- Somerford Township—Replacement of 1-mill, five-year tax levy for fire protection.
- Stokes Township—Renewal of 0.8-mill, five-year tax levy for fire protection and provision and maintenance of fire apparatus, appliances, buildings, water supply and materials.
- Village of Midway—Renewal of a 2.9-mill, five-year tax levy for current expenses.
- Village of South Solon—Additional 2.885-mill, five-year tax levy for current expenses.
The deadline to file petitions to run for office in the Nov. 7 election was Aug. 9. The Board of Elections certified the candidates list on Aug. 21. The full list can be viewed at www.electionsonthe.net/oh/madison; click on the “candidate information” tab.
Six individuals were disqualified and, therefore, will not appear on the ballot:
- Raymond Elfrink—Fairfield Township trustee;
- Shannon Foust—Jonathan Alder school board;
- William Martin—Mount Sterling mayor;
- Rochelle Pellegrene—Plain City village council;
- Barry Thomas—Plain City village council; and
- Donna Keplinger—South Solon village council.
The disqualifications were due to insufficient number of valid signatures and errors in filling out petition documents.