Groveport applies for grant for bicycle path project


By Rick Palsgrove
Southeast Editor

Groveport is looking to expand it’s bicycle path system.

Groveport city officials recently applied for an Ohio NatureWorks grant to help fund the construction of an asphalt bicycle/pedestrian path to connect the Bixford Green subdivision to the nearby Blacklick Trail at Three Creeks Metro Park.

The 10 foot wide, approximately 860 to 920 foot path would connect through Reserve “A” of Bixford Green near Canyon Grove Drive and Peach Canyon Drive.

According to EMH&T Project Engineer Erik Meininger, the path will avoid wetlands and not impact trees in the subdivision. He said the path will follow the natural topography.

“About 600 feet of the path will be in the Bixford Green space and about 300 feet will be on land that is owned by the state and is administered by Groveport Madison Schools,” said Meininger. “The school district has indicated they will provide a letter of support for the project.”

Meininger said the Ohio NatureWorks grant would fund 75 percent of the project that is on the Bixford Green portion of the project, which comes to about $70,000. The city would pay for the remaining 25 percent, which is about $23,000.

He said the western part of the path is not eligible for grant funding because these monies are not available for school lands, so the city will have to fund all of this portion of the project, which would be about $80,000.

“The western part of the project is more of a challenge because trees will need to be cleared there for the path,” said Meininger. “The eastern part in Bixford Green is mostly open space.”

Meininger said the city should hear by November or December if it will receive the grant. He said after receiving notification of the grant, construction of the path could begin in early 2020 with completion by mid- to late 2020.

Groveport City Administrator Marsha Hall said that, if the city does not receive the grant, the project could still proceed depending upon Groveport City Council approval.

“I believe council is positive about the project and would still include it in an upcoming budget so it could be paid for out of the general fund,” said Hall. “It’s a good project for the cost.”

Meininger added that other grant options are available, such as Clean Ohio Trails, in the event the Ohio NatureWorks grant request is denied.

Hall said Reserve “A” is owned by the Bixford Green Association and the city is working on a lease agreement for the path with the association. She said that, once the path is built, the city would maintain the path as well as the area behind seven residences on Canyon Grove Drive that border Three Creeks Metro Park.

Meininger said the path will provide citizens with good access to Three Creeks Metro Park’s Blacklick Trail. The path will also be wide enough for emergency vehicles to use when necessary.

Previous articleGroveport Madison names new superintendent
Next articleMemorial Day in Canal Winchester (photos)



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.