(Posted Oct. 4, 2017)
By Sandi Latimer, Staff Writer
West Jefferson Parks and Recreation Director Marci Darlington, observing her 12th year involved locally in the Make a Difference Day program, is asking Madison County residents to think of what they can do to help others.
She’s celebrating the good that people in the community can do, culminating with breakfast and lunch on Oct. 28, Make a Difference Day, at the West Jefferson Community Center, 221 S. Center St.
Donations for area food pantries, shelters, students, veterans and others will be collected that day for distribution throughout Madison County.
Darlington is requesting donations of the following:
- non-perishable food items, especially canned soups, individual serving portions for back-pack meals, tuna, and canned fruit; • toilet paper;
- toiletries (brush, combs, toothpaste, deodorant);
- new or gently used coats, hats, gloves;
- new underwear and socks for all ages and gender;
- new or gently used toys for the local Christmas give-away;
- gift cards;
- hand-written cards for nursing home residents and veterans;
- new swimming pool noodles (to be used for weatherizing doors);
- eyeglasses and ball caps for the Lion’s Club; and
- food items for the Hero’s Breakfast and Oodles of Noodles lunch.
Both the breakfast and lunch will be held at the community center.
“During a Lunch and Learn, we talked to the children about heroes, and asked who their heroes were,” Darlington said. “They can bring their heroes to breakfast.”
Breakfast of hot cakes will be served from 9 to 11:30 a.m.
Oodles of Noodles will feature a chicken and noodle lunch with Darlington and celebrates all the good work leading up to Make a Difference Day. Lunch will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Donations will be accepted throughout the day. Cash donations can be made to the Madison County Ohio Make a Difference Day account at Huntington Bank.
For details, contact Darlington at (740) 490-8317.