When your pumpkin, squash and gourds lose their shape, drop them off in the collection bin in Fryer Park for environmentally friendly disposal.
Residents may drop off their pumpkins through Nov. 27 at no-cost to Grove City and Jackson Township residents. The bin is located in the front parking lot, adjacent to the Fryer Park Community Gardens, 3899 Orders Road.
- Pumpkins and other gourds only
- Remove non-organic materials including candles, wax, feathers, ribbons, etc.
- Glitter, paint, markers and sealants are non-organic and make the gourds non-compostable.
- Gourds cannot be included in curbside yard waste due to volume/weight and the way they decompose.
- Gourds are turned into usable organic materials at a special facility.
- Do not use bin for food or yard waste as it will contaminate this process.
Other Alternatives to Divert Pumpkins/Gourds from the Landfill
When finished using them decoratively, place in your yard or garden. Wildlife such as birds, butterflies, deer and squirrels will feed on pumpkins.
Gourds compost quickly due to a high liquid content. Cut/smash them into smaller pieces and cover with leaves.
For more information, contact Linda Rosine at 614-277-3058 or visit grovecityohio.gov.