Crash-prone intersection will get a two-lane roundabout

(Posted Sept. 30, 2020)

Kristy Zurbrick, Madison Editor

A roundabout is coming to a Plain City-area intersection that has experienced a high rate of vehicle crashes over the last several years.

Madison County Engineer Bryan Dhume reported on Sept. 29 that the county will receive $1.3 million in federal money to put toward construction of a two-lane roundabout at the intersection of Plain City-Georgesville Road, Converse Huff Road, and Cemetery Pike.

The project is slated for fiscal year 2026. The federal dollars will cover 80 percent of the cost of the project. The county and the village of Plain City will cover the other 20 percent.

Dhume said his application for the project received the second highest score among projects submitted for funding this year through the Ohio County Engineers Association. The funding is earmarked for projects that improve road safety. Madison County’s application received a high score because of the intersection’s crash history.

According to Dhume, 17 crashes have occurred at the intersection over the past three years. Of those, one involved a fatality and 12 resulted in incapacitating injuries for the parties involved.

The roundabout will be designed to reduce the potential for crashes. It also will help with traffic capacity in the area. For the last couple of years, Dhume has been working with Plain City officials to keep tabs on development and what it means for roads in the area. A new housing development went in near the intersection in the last couple of years.

Updates on current road projects

  • Spring Valley Road is closed between state route 142 and 665 while a bridge is being replaced south of White Oaks Drive in Deer Creek Township. The road will remain closed for the next six weeks.
  • A bridge replacement and road paving project on Danville Road in Range Township is nearing completion. Two bridges have been replaced. Crews are putting the finishing touches on repaving 9.9 miles of road in the area. The project should be completed in the next week.
  • Dhume said drivers can expect to see crews out painting center lines on township and county roads through the end of October.

More space for stone storage

The Engineer’s Office needs more room to store stone and asphalt grindings for road projects. At the Sept. 29 county commissioners meeting, Dhume proposed the idea of expanding space at the office’s Danville Road outpost, located south of State Route 323.

The county currently leases land adjacent to the outpost for farming purposes. Dhume would like to use 2.3 acres of that land in the immediate future and possibly another 1.3 acres later on for road materials storage. The commissioners said the land is meant for county use, so they will look into the farm lease details to work out a time to make the switch.

Dhume recently acquired 5,000 tons of asphalt grindings from an Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) project on State Route 38. The materials–which were free–can be used for berms, backfill, road widening, and other road building projects.

“Having more space will make it possible for us to take advantage of more of these ODOT projects,” Dhume said.

Previous articleGreen light for beggars’ night across the county
Next articleOpen seat on Plain City council


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.