City appreciates local man’s fundraising effort

Messenger photo by Kristy Zurbrick Pat Closser (left), London city council president, accepts a $1,633 check for the London Community Center from resident Phillip Newell, who organized a benefit basketball game between Ohio State University basketball alumni and local residents.
Messenger photo by Kristy Zurbrick
Pat Closser (left), London city council president, accepts a $1,633 check for the London Community Center from resident Phillip Newell, who organized a benefit basketball game between Ohio State University basketball alumni and local residents.

(Posted Nov. 28, 2014)

By Kristy Zurbrick, Madison Editor

The London Community Center got a boost when Phillip Newell presented a check for $1,633 to London city council on Nov. 20.

Newell organized an exhibition basketball game in late October between alumni of the Ohio State University basketball team and local residents. Over 200 people attended.

Newell designated 25 percent of the proceeds for the local girls’ traveling basketball program, for which he serves as a coach, and the other 75 percent to the community center. Of the center’s portion, $600 will be used for scholarships to help underprivileged children pay to participate in city recreation leagues. The rest will go toward upkeep of the center.

Council president Pat Closser, who played in the benefit game, praised Newell for his efforts to help out his community. He encouraged other residents to do the same, to “help people who need help.”

“I know a lot of groups who could use volunteers,” Closser said.

Councilman Trint Hatt attended the game and said he was impressed with the turnout. Councilman Rex Castle served as a referee.

“It was fun to officiate, and it was fun to watch,” Castle said.

Steve Hume, the city’s safety-service director, noted that Newell also was instrumental in getting London’s girls’ and boys’ traveling basketball teams into a Columbus league that has a longer season and is more competitive than their current league.

Meetings

  • Council’s personnel, budget and finance committee will meet at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 4 in council chambers, 6 E. Second St., prior to council’s regular meeting at 6:30. During the regular meeting, council will hold a public hearing on the 2015 city budget.
  • Council’s safety service committee will meet at 7 p.m. Dec. 8 at the police department.
  • Council’s public service committee will meet at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 11 in council chambers.
  • The local Safe Routes To Schools committee will hold a public hearing on Jan. 12 in council chambers to collect input on the current plan and ideas for new projects. The deadline to apply for the next round of funding is this spring. The meeting will start at 7 with an open house followed by the hearing at 7:30.
Previous articleMt. Sterling expands Christmas celebration
Next articleSheriff’s tips for winter weather driving

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.