Additional safety measures will be in place for the Canal Winchester vs. New Albany football game at Canal Winchester High School’s Mike Locke Stadium on Aug. 25, after arrests of three individuals for possession of guns at the Groveport Madison vs. Canal Winchester game on Aug. 18.
Several additional safety measures will be in place including weapon detectors at the entrance to the stadium.
Canal Winchester Schools Superintendent Kiya Hunt sent the following update to families and community members on Aug. 23:
“As we are gearing up for Friday night’s football game, we wanted to let you know about new safety measures that will be in place at Mike Locke Stadium so all students and fans can safely enjoy the game. We can’t wait to see you there, cheering on the Indians as they host New Albany High School.
We are looking forward to a safe and fun competition for everyone and have collaborated with law enforcement agencies and New Albany officials to ensure the safety of all students and fans.
Several additional safety measures will be in place at Mike Locke Stadium this Friday night, including weapon detectors at the entrance to the stadium. We want you to know about these plans so you can feel confident coming to this week’s game and know what you’ll need to enter the stadium.
Here’s what you’ll need to be aware of for this week’s game:
• All fans will enter through the home gates at Mike Locke Stadium, on the northwest side of the facility.
• Gates will open at 5:30 p.m.
• Everyone must pass through a weapon detector to enter the stadium. We will have two detectors at the gate, operated by a security team.
▪ We’d like to thank Groveport Madison Schools for loaning these detectors to us for this week’s game. We’re grateful to have the opportunity to pilot the detectors before implementing a long-term solution for the rest of the season and beyond.
• The gates will close at the end of halftime. No one will be allowed to enter after that.
• An adult must accompany kids in kindergarten through 8th grade.
• All high school students must be with an adult or show a Canal Winchester or New Albany Student ID to enter.
• A temporary digital Student ID will be sent to all high school students and their families through ParentSquare/StudentSquare on Thursday, August 24.
• Adults between 18 and 25 may be asked to produce a photo ID to enter.
▪ Any adult 18 or older should be prepared to show a photo ID if asked.
• No bags are allowed in the stadium.
• Capacity for all games will be capped at 2,000.
DURING THE GAME
• Canal Winchester fans will remain on the home side, and New Albany fans will remain on the away side.
• Concessions and restroom facilities are available on both sides of the stadium.
• There will be no re-entry to the stadium.
• Loitering in the parking lot during or after the game is not permitted.
• Law enforcement officers from the Madison Township Police and Fairfield
County Sheriff’s Office Department will be on duty at the game.
LEAVING THE GAME
• New Albany fans will exit through the away gates, and Canal Winchester
fans will exit through the home gates.
• All spectators should leave the stadium promptly at the end of the game. Loitering is not permitted.
We want our students and community to be able to cheer their Indians to victory safely and appreciate the partnership of our local law enforcement officers to develop our plans.
It’s concerning for all of us that there were incidents of violence at consecutive games against Groveport Madison, but we know that we have to make sure our games are safe for all students, families, staff, and community members, no matter who our opponent is. We’re committed to doing everything we can to keep our schools and community safe. Thank you for your support in implementing enhanced safety measures at Mike Locke Stadium.”
Kiya Hunt, Superintendent
Canal Winchester Schools