Alder filing lawsuit over leaky roof at Monroe

(Posted April 17, 2014)

By Sandi Latimer, Staff Writer          

Jonathan Alder Local Schools plans to file a lawsuit in an attempt to recoup money spent to repair the roof at Monroe Elementary. The roof leaked water and air after installation and had to be replaced.

On April 14, the school board agreed to start action against the project designer, Feinknopf Macioce Schappa Architects, and the construction company, Charter Hill Construction, that performed the work.

The roof was installed through an Expedited Local Partnership Program facilitated by the Ohio School Facilities Commission. The state paid 54 percent of the cost; the school district paid the other 46 percent. The cost to replace the leaky roof was $800,000.

The board approved a resolution to start litigation in hopes of recovering its share of the $800,000 cost.

New floor covering for gym

The school district recently received several dona-tions and grants. Among them was a surprise: a new floor covering for the main gym at the high school.

Worth $14,000, the floor covering measures 80×100 feet. It will be used to protect the wood floor when the gym is used for events like graduation and concerts.

“We received what seemed like a random phone call a couple months ago from Dunlap Industries of Califor-nia. They told us we were next on the list for a free floor covering,” said Superintendent Gary Chapman.

As it turns out, Chapman’s predecessor, Doug Carpenter, had signed up the district for a program by which Dunlap donates leftover materials in the form of floor coverings to schools.

“He put us on the list four or five years ago. This year, our turn came up,” Chapman said.

The district paid the $2,500 cost for shipping, but the covering itself was free.

In other donation news, the district received a “buddy bench,” donated to Plain City Elementary by former teachers Alison Benton, Sandy Carns and Cindy Keinath. Any child who needs a friend to play with at recess can meet at the buddy bench to pair up.

Recent grants include: $500 from Battelle For Kids for curriculum planning at Monroe Elementary; $3,250 in Reflex Math grants for two Plain City Elementary classrooms; and $1,230 in Donors Choose grants for listening centers at Plain City Elementary.

Custodian fired

Night custodian Steven Johnson, who worked at Plain City Elementary, was terminated for possession and use of illegal drugs on school property during work.

Previous articleSpring clean-up in Prairie Township
Next articleCity leaders debate use of cameras


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.