(Posted Nov. 30, 2016)
By Kristy Zurbrick, Madison Editor
The South Charleston Community Club will present its 20th Annual Christmas in South Charleston from 4 to 8 p.m. Dec. 7.
Refreshments, entertainment, food, shopping and children’s activities are set to take place inside and outside businesses, churches and the town hall.
The raffle is back. Tickets are $1 each or six for $5 and will be sold at various locations around town until 7:45 that night. The drawing is at 8 p.m. at 15 N. Chillicothe St. The grand prize is $200. Other cash prizes, themed gift baskets, and merchandise also are up for grabs.
Once again, children are invited to fill out a Christmas passport by collecting stamps at participating businesses. Completed passports must be turned in to the Presbyterian Church for a chance to win an Amazon Kindle Fire. One boy and one girl will win. The drawing is set for 8 p.m.
In addition to tried and true traditions of past celebrations, this year’s Christmas in South Charleston includes new features. Southern Roots BBQ will serve up pork sandwiches and turkey legs, and a bonfire will offer a warm spot to stop for snacks. Both will be located at the corner of Jamestown and Chillicothe streets.
“It’s the place to be!” said Jennifer Harbage, one of the event organizers.
Other places to be over the course of the evening are as follows:
- Catholic Parish Hall, 31 S. Chillicothe St.—Soup, sandwiches and desserts.
- Catholic Parish House, 31 S. Chillicothe St.—Outdoor music.
- Security National Bank, 102 S. Chillicothe St.—Hot chocolate, cookies, dulcimer music by the Charleston Strummers.
- Village Hair Designs & Spa, 164 N. Chillicothe St.—Decorate cookies at Mrs. Claus’ Cookie Shop.
- Village Chic, 164 1/2 N. Chillicothe St.—Free pictures with Mrs. Claus. Look for the cinnamon roll truck in the parking lot.
- Charleston Pharmacy, 127 S. Chillicothe St.—See the Christmas train and decorations. Free book to each child.
- Gilbert’s Youth Center, 65 N. Chillicothe St.—Open to junior high and high school youths.
- Lazy Cat Village Boutique, 64 S. Chillicothe St.—Free soap samples to the first 50 people.
- Chillicothe Street Pizza, 54 S. Chillicothe St.—Drawing for an an extra-large, two-topping pizza. Music outdoors by American Legion Post 176.
- Southern Roots BBQ and Bonfire, corner of Jamestown and Chillicothe streets.
- Ingling Williams Funeral Home, 24 N. Chillicothe St.—Free Christmas ornaments.
- Presbyterian Church, 15 N. Chillicothe St.—Crafters and vendors. Walking tacos and kettle corn.
- Methodist Church, 15 E. Jamestown St.—Cookie walk.
- Parade—Starting at Journey of Faith, traveling down Chillicothe Street to Sunrise Co-op.
- Houston Library, 5 W. Jamestown St.—Make a star tree ornament and shop at the book sale. A Santa bean bag toss will be set up in the teen area with prizes.
- South Charleston Town Hall, 35 S. Chillicothe St.—Visit with Santa. Parents are invited to bring their own cameras to get photos. The Community Club will give out pencils. The Legion Post will give out candy canes.
- Shoemaker’s Grocery, 111 S. Chillicothe St.—Play bean bag toss in the parking lot. Prizes to the first 200 children.
- Wagon Rides—Load and unload at the corner of Jamestown and Chillicothe streets. A donation of one non-perishable food item per person per ride is requested.
- Presbyterian Church—Christmas carolers singing outside.
- Southeastern High School, 195 E. Jamestown St.—Band and choir concert.
- Raffle drawing, 15 N. Chillicothe St.
Among the other businesses that plan to be open, offering treats and specials, are: 5R’s Cars and Collectibles, 17 N. Chillicothe St.; Purple Monkey, 25 W. Mound St.; and In a Pinch Screenprinting, 16 S. Chillicothe St.
For updates and more information, see “Christmas in South Charleston” on F