The Prairie Township trustees initiated a chipper program to provide residents with curbside collection and disposal of tree and shrub trimmings.
To ensure pick-up within one to seven days, residents should schedule this service through www.prairietownship.org or by calling the road department at 878-3316 and leaving a name, address and daytime phone number.
The township will bring a chipper to residences with a house number and remove tree and shrub trimmings subjected to the following regulations:
• Tree and shrub trimmings only; no vines.
• Trees and bushes with roots cannot go through the chipper machine. Roots must be removed.
• No lumber, boards, wire or other construction debris.
• All trimmings must be piled neatly, with cutoff ends pointed toward the street, and piled next to the curb or at the end of the driveway.
• Trimmings should not be piled near mailboxes, fire hydrants or parked cars, as they may scratch the cars. Trimmings deemed too close to parked cars will not be picked up.
• There is a minimum length of 4 feet for branches to be accepted.
Township employees will not leave mulch at residences. If you would like some mulch from the chippings, arrangements can be made for residents to pick up mulch at the road department garage, 6725 Alkire Road, by calling 878-3316.
Christmas tree recycling program
Christmas trees will be collected for recycling each Tuesday at 7 a.m. in January.
All decorations should be removed and trees placed at the curb, free of any wrapping or bags.
Christmas trees can also be composted at home or used in the backyard in a variety of ways. The branches can be cut and used to cover perennial gardens, acting as extra protection from the cold weather. Trees can also provide wild birds and animals temporary perches or resting sites with extra protection from cold weather.
For details of the Christmas tree recycling program call 878-3316.