[ back ]
South Charleston: Events
Rev up for auto show
Messenger photo by Mike Munden
John Fowler gives Josh McClure a ride in his 1920 Huber steam tractor at the Miami Valley Steam Threshers show, which took place July 18-21 in Plain City. Fowler is a resident of South Charleston and long-time exhibitor.
American Legion Post 176 will host its 15th annual Cruzin’ the Park from 4 to 8 p.m. Aug. 16 at South Charleston Community Park. There are no entry fees. Door prizes will be given.
Dick “Hot Dog” Ryman will spin tunes. Pork chop dinners, hot dogs, and other concessions will be available for purchase. Children can enjoy the playground. A 50/50 raffle is planned.
The event is one of the Legion’s major fundraisers. Proceeds will go toward the post’s scholarship fund, which helps outstanding Southeastern High School students pay for their college education. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of grade point average and curriculum.
South Charleston Community Park is located on Route 42 east of State Route 41. The event will take place rain or shine.
Library a busy place
Houston Library, 5 W. Jamestown, S. Charleston, 937-462-8047.
• Martial Arts Demo. Aug. 2 at 10 a.m. Carl Davis and students from the Davis School of Martial Arts will demonstrate traditional Okinawan karate and pangai-noon, as well as traditional weapons.
• Gaming Saturdays. Aug. 9, Sept. 13, Oct. 11, 10 a.m.-noon for first- through 12th-graders. Nine laptops will be set up for Runescape fans (ages 12-15). Wii Play & Wii Sports Demo will be available for all. Tables will be set up for Yugioh.
• Lunch @ the Library (adults only). Aug. 11 (salads) at noon. Bring a friend and your favorite dish along with a copy of the recipe. Stay to watch a cooking DVD.
• Euchre (adults only). Aug. 14 at 6 p.m. Pre-register with a team of four by Aug. 11 by calling 937-462-8047. If you can’t come up with a team, call to be put on a list.
• Music Appreciation Series (all ages). Third Saturday of each month at 4 p.m. Local harpist Leslie Arendt performs Aug. 16.
• Computer Training for Adults. Mouse skills, Aug. 20, 1 p.m.
• Men’s & Kid’s Chess (ages 8- 108). The last Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m.—Aug. 25, Sept. 29 and Oct. 27.
• Afterschool Guitar Hero & DDR. The fourth Thursday of each month—Aug. 28, Sept. 25 and Oct. 23. Ages 7-12 play from 3 to 4:30 p.m. Ages 13-18 play from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
• Family Movie Matinees. 3:30 p.m. Aug. 30, “Extreme Sports Fun” (Walt Disney’s Classic Cartoon Favorites – NR).
[ back ]