[ back ]
Letters to the editor
Something on your mind? Tell us about it! Write a letter to the editor! Submit yours to firstname.lastname@example.org.
So how’s your summer? Enjoying the $4 per gallon gas? What galls me the most about the whole “crisis,” is that it never was necessary for this to happen at all. Here are a few of the reasons for high priced gas.
1. No oil refineries have been built in this country for 30 years.
2. Enviromentalists coerced members of the U.S. Congress to stop off shore drilling.
3. We drilled in Alaska and shipped it to Japan.
4. Part of the plan in the Iraq war was to have it paid for from oil profits, from the wells in Iraq.
5. President Bill Clinton signed an order prohibiting drilling for oil in the shale fields in the western states. He made them National Parks.
6. Costs for small drilling companies, including drill permits and other government regulations, became so high these entrepreneurs could no longer continue operating (although there are some operating in Texas and Oklahoma).
We are told today that it will take 10 to 12 years to get results, even if we start today. This is a lie. Once the process is started, it will take less than a year. One proposal brought forth by a radio talk show host, is that for every illegal immigrant that enters our country, we should receive one barrel of oil.
People in North Dakota are now becoming instant millionaires because they are drilling for oil today. Forget windmills for energy, and corn for ethanol. It would take over 20 years for this “technology” to be effective, and it is cost prohibitive.
Coal and atomic power should be used for electric. Coal has deposits good for 500 years. Atomic power runs forever. If you are really concerned about the coming prices of $5 ,$10 and $15 per gallon, you must deluge your local representatives with “Drill here, drill now.”
[ back ]